In general, Cummins engine serial numbers (ESN) consist of eight (8) digits, e.g. 79012323.
If you have a hard copy of an Owners Manual or an Operation and Maintenance Manual or if you already have access to the
online manuals, there is a procedure that describes how to find the engine serial number on your engine's dataplate. These
steps will show you how to find that procedure and locate your engine serial number.
When using a hard copy manual go to the section titled "Engine Identification". This will show you where to find your
engine serial number.
If you do not have access to a manual, the following instructions tell you where to physically find the ESN on the engine.
This will vary based on the engine model. Please note that if your engine dataplate is missing or is not readable, the ESN
is identified on the engine block.
Typical Dataplate locations: Top of valve or Gear Housing
The engine dataplate, located on top of the rocker lever cover, provides the model identification and other important
data about the engine.
If you have a QuickServe Online account already, follow these steps:
- Engine Serial Number (ESN)
- Critical Parts List (CPL)
- Advertised horsepower and RPM
- Log in to QuickServe Online.
- Click on "Engine Family Search" link in the left column of QuickServe Online.
- Select your engine family from the drop down menu.
Note: If you are not sure which engine family to select, call 1-800-CUMMINS, and they can help you determine the correct
engine family for your engine.
- Click "Search". It is not required that you select a Fuel System, Application or Build Year.
- Click on the "Service" tab located across the top of the page.
- Click on "Owners Manual" or "Operation and Maintenance Manual."
- Select the appropriate manual.
- Open the section titled "Engine Identification". This will show you where to find your engine serial number.